www.etsy.com/shop/AbigailKelleyDesigns                                   

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Oliver's Birth Story





I figured i'd write about the day my son was born. one of the happiest days of my life.
















It was a rainy April day in 2013 and we rushed into the hospital, trying to fight the inevitability of becoming drenched. It was around 3:00 pm when we got there. As they called us back to triage, I looked as my husband anxiously and we both smiled. We knew that this very well could be the day we would have our child. After monitoring me for almost an hour and having me walk the halls for half an hour, they hooked me back up to machines to monitor my contractions once more. They said I was just about 4 centimeters dilated and my contractions were steady, closer and stronger. Though, I didn't need a machine to tell me that though. I could FEEL it!


The contractions were not too bad, though I didn't know what you were supposed to feel like, I could tell that they were not at their peak for pain. I got admitted into a hospital room at around five o'clock on April 8th.

Once in the room, it felt like time went from passing extremely fast to awfully slow. Once my contractions started to worsen, the time seemed to pass slower. My husband was by my side the entire time. During each contraction, he would grab my hand and breathe with me, coaching me and encouraging me. I lasted with the contractions for seven long hours. Every contraction that passed, the next one was a little longer and a little worse. After a while, the pain was so excruciating that I could barely breathe. All I could do was sob after each one. And when I said I can't go on anymore, my husband would read me an encouraging scripture and lift me up. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" was the verse we would repeat through every surge of pain. I kept trudging trough each contraction, saying a prayer in my mind with each one.
Finally, after seven hours, I asked for an epidural. The pain was like nothing I had ever felt before. It was as if I was being cut open with no pain killers. When the anesthesiologist arrived with the massive needle, I was frightened, but more than that, I just wanted the pain to end.
The hardest thing I had to do was remain PERFECTLY still as he put the needle in my back. It wouldn't have been so hard if it wasn't for the two contractions I had to suffer through, being a statue. I hunched over the pillow on my lap and rested my arms and head on my husband who knelt down in front of me and held me. The only way I was able to make it through each contraction without moving an inch was to repeat all the things I was thankful for. Good and bad. Like, "thank you God for the pain. Thank you God for the contractions. Thank you God for my husband. Thank you God for my baby..." And I would whisper those things, repeating them again and again until the contraction was over.
The epidural started working almost immediately. It affected the left half of my body first, so I was still in pain on my right side, but after about an hour, my entire lower body was numb and I was completely pain free. I was praising and thanking God... As well as the anesthesiologist. Haha.
The next few hours were wonderful. My family was right beside me and I had no pain. I was able to bask in my last moments of pregnancy and appreciate the unconditional love my husband was pouring on me. He was so amazing through the entire thing. We prayed, he read encouraging scripture to me, he kissed me and loved on me. I could not have asked for a better person to stand by my side since day one of my pregnancy than my husband, Michael Kelley.
Soon, it was time to push. When the nurse told me that, my initial response was panic. Not fear of the pain, (because i couldn't feel anything,) but fear that I wouldn't be able to do it and panic that "this is really happening!" Since my lower body was numb, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to feel when to push or I wouldn't be able to push hard enough and I might injure my baby. That fear mixed with my anxiety in the fact that the time was finally here was overwhelming!
It was time. Each push was hard. It was not painful, but it was tiring. As if I was pushing a car up a hill. With each push, my husband cheered me on. I had never seen him so excited before. Once he saw the head of his baby boy, I thought he might have a permanent smile on his face with how big he was grinning. It was amazing to have such wonderful support from him and my mother who was on the other side of me, both helping me to push. After a while, I got the hang of it and began to feel when I should push without having to be told. Push after push, I finally felt him come out. The doctor immediately placed him on my stomach and I saw my son for the first time. Tears of joy dripped from my face. My baby boy was finally here! I did it! Michael and I were in awe. As dirty and strange as he looked, he was perfect. When he looked at us with his dark, new, pure eyes. We were hooked. It was the moment we had always imagined. Our son was here.




That was the day I will remember for the rest of my life. It was the most perfect day I have ever had every thing went as smoothly as it could. God was in complete control and I give ALL the glory to Him. Without Him there with us, the day would not have been the same. Thank you Jesus for giving me such a perfect and wonderful life and new family.

Xoxo,


No comments:

Post a Comment