www.etsy.com/shop/AbigailKelleyDesigns                                   

Friday, January 17, 2014

Remember: "You're A Good Mom"

I recently commented on a post from a dear Instagram mom friend. she basically feels like she isn't a good enough mom to her baby boy and that she constantly compares her life to other "super-moms" on Instagram saying, "I'm not good enough, I'm not as good of a mom..." and, me, having a lot to say on the matter, commented a novel to her. ha. 
well, here are my thoughts on that...



I think, if you're comparing your life to other mom's, you're a good parent. now, I'm not saying that it's GOOD to compare yourself, or that it's necessarily RIGHT; I'm just saying that if you are, then you must want to do better. and being a parent, you can always try to do and be better. Your children are worth it. they deserve to have the BEST version of you all the time. 
Though, comparing yourself isn't always a good thing. you can look at other moms and how they raise their children and aspire to be like them... but if you are constantly comparing yourself to them by means of cutting YOURSELF down, then i think that's detrimental to your self-esteem, your confidence in your parenthood an yourself as a person. you can aspire to be "like" someone else without getting down on yourself.
So don't "compare" your life to someone else's, but use them as an "inspiration" for you to do better. 

I find myself comparing my life and my style of parenting to other moms ALL the time. now, it's not just moms i know in person, but mostly moms i follow on sites like Facebook or Instagram. i see these photos or status updates they post and i think, "wow, their life is perfect!"
CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!
yep, that's all crap.
no one's life is perfect. see, comparing my life to someones Instagram life is pointless. people only post the photos of the happy moments in their lives. or the pictures where mom and baby are smiling, or doing activities together or playing, etc. no one posts what actually happens in their home. that mom you so desperately want to be like, well she isn't going to stop to take a picture of the time she bangs her baby's head on the door jam. or the moments where she hides in the bathroom, leaving baby to fend for himself, praying he won't get into anything TOO dangerous. or when her and her husband are fighting and screaming profanities at each other. or even the times when she wasn't sure how to properly feed or take care of her baby. 
see, people only post photos of their "highlight-reel" of life. the moments that bring a smile or laugh to someone. not the knitty-gritty things you don't want anyone to know about. 
If you are someone who gets down on yourself for not being a "good enough mom" or not being able to be "like someone else," remember that the person you're trying to measure up to, has faults too. you just can't see them. (ESPECIALLY on social media.)
if you look at my Instagram feed, (located on my home page) you'd think my life is pretty perfect. but all those above things i mentioned... those are MY mom experiences. (some of the better ones. ha) i sugarcoat my life online just like anyone else. 

there is a VERY high possibility that the Instagram mom you wish you could measure up to, is most likely thinking the same thing about your "highlight-reel" and wishing she could have your perfect life. 


Just remember, you ARE a good enough mom. just do what you believe is right and try not to get down on yourself. if you're doing the best that YOU know how to do, then that's where you need to be. 

xoxo,


2 comments:

  1. Im not sure I'm ready to reveal myself. But I just wanted to tell you I really needed this and thank you for writing this. My child is developing very slow and is very small for his age. Every day I beat myself up thinking believing its my fault. But I need to remind myself I'm a good mom. And referring to another post of yours. You're right. I do not post that my child cannot speak words or do the majority of milestones he's supposed to. I post happy things. just wanted you to know I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this really made my day reading this. children develop at all different speeds. i know a mother of TWINS. they were raised the EXACT same way, with the same parents, and by the time one twin was walking and talking, the other twin was JUST starting to crawl. one was growing faster, and the other one slower. this just goes to show that it has NOTHING to do with the parenting. babies will mature on their OWN timing. all you can do is support them and rejoice with them when they do something new. if you don't, they may grow up thinking they aren't "good enough" for you.
      your baby is perfect. ALL babies are perfect, that's how God created up. if we were all the same, life would be really boring. haha. God made up with uniqueness. embrace it! :)

      thank you so much for reading this and giving me feedback.

      Delete